Skip to main content

Research in Absentia

A student may petition the Graduate School to complete the PhD research in absentia under the following circumstances: (a) the doctoral preliminary examination was passed while in residence,

(b) facilities exist for the student to conduct the research off campus, (c) employment does not interfere with the dissertation research, (d) significant progress is made on the dissertation research so that the remaining work may be completed off campus, and (e) provisions for supervision are arranged with the PhD candidate’s major professor. A Request for PhD Candidate Research in Absentia (G.S. Form 12) must be submitted to the Graduate School to petition for permission to register  for research in absentia.