Philosophy Event Photos
see "Events" for schedule
University of Waterloo
Title: "Ignorance, Excellence, and Diversity: Improving the Representation of
Women and Minorities in STEM"
Date: February 26, 2016; 4:30-6:30pm
Location: LWSN 1142
- A conference "Germany: Intersections of History and Philosophy" organized by Chris Yeomans was held at Purdue on October 24-25, 2014.
- Alberto Urquidez has been awarded a Phillips Exeter Academy Dissertation Year Fellowship, which allows him to spend 2014-15 finishing his dissertation in residence at the Phillips Exeter Academy in New Hampshire. His dissertation title is "Wittgenstein and Racism as a Family Resemblance Concept."
- A conference on "Logic, Mathematics, and Philosophy," organized by Daniel Smith, was held at Purdue on September 19-20, 2014.
- A conference on “Faith and Reason: Themes from Swinburne,” organized by Michael Bergmann and Jeffrey Brower, was held at Purdue on Sept 25-27, 2014.
- Leonard Harris is the 2014 recipient of The Frantz Fanon Lifetime Achievement Award from The Caribbean Philosophical Association
- Natalia Washington and Dan Kelly presented their paper 'Who's Responsible for This? Implicit Bias and the Knowledge Condition' at the Implicit Bias and Philosophy workshop at the University of Sheffield in Great Britain on April 20, 2012 and at a meeting of the Filosofiska Föreningen at Lund University in Sweden on February 13, 2013.
- The 1st issue of Sapientia, the Department's annual newsletter, is now available.
- Michael Bergmann and Patrick Kain received a 3-year grant (2010-2013) from the John Templeton Foundation for a $500,000 project entitled "Knowing in Religion and Morality".
- The Philosophy and Literature newsletter is now available.
- Due to a generous gift from Tom Scholl, a 1970 graduate of the Philosophy Department and a 2009 College of Liberal Arts Distinguished Alumnus, we will have a yearly guest speaker paid for by the Thomas H. Scholl Endowment Fund for Visiting Philosophers.
- The Philosophy Department hosted the 2010 Midwest Epistemology Workshop (MEW). Keynote Speaker: Jason Stanley. For information on MEW, see this link.
- Patricia Curd received a National Humanities Center fellowship for 2009-10.
- William McBride was elected President of the Fédération Internationale des Sociétés de Philosophie (FISP).
The Department of Philosophy offers courses of study leading to the B.A., M.A., and Ph.D. For details about the department’s programs, please use the links in the menu bar above.
The department’s faculty specialize in the History of Philosophy from antiquity to the present and in many areas of contemporary Analytic Philosophy and Continental European Philosophy. For more information, please browse the following pages: Faculty, Recent Faculty Books, Recent Faculty Articles, and Departmental Highlights.
Department Head: Matthias Steup
Acting Head through 1/28/15: Rod Bertolet
Director of Graduate Studies: Martin Curd
Director of Graduate Admissions: Paul Draper
Director of Placement: Daniel Kelly
Director of Undergraduate Studies: Christopher Yeomans
Facebook Purdue Undergraduate Philosophy Society
Thinking about picking up a major or minor in Philosophy?
Diversity and Inclusion
The Department of Philosophy is pleased to announce that, thanks to the generosity of the Office of the Provost and the CLA Dean's Office, it will be offering a Graduate Student Fellowship in Philosophy for Diversity and Inclusion. The Fellowship will be awarded to a fourth or fifth year graduate student who has a demonstrated interest in improving diversity and inclusion. The Fellow’s duties will include creating and maintaining a departmental web page that lists resources, organizing workshops for philosophy graduate students on the inclusive classroom, and helping put together a series of talks by distinguished philosophers on the full range of issues relating to diversity and inclusion. The purpose of this colloquium series is to facilitate dialogue on and understanding of these very important issues.
For 2014-15, the Fellowship has been awarded to Natalia Washington.