Medieval and Renaissance Studies
Unlike the vertical orientations of departmental disciplines, which follow one field of study from its beginnings to the present, the medieval and renaissance studies program at Purdue cuts horizontally across fifteen subject areas such as art, architecture, drama, history, music, vernacular and Latin literature, philosophy, and political science. The program presents a variety of ways to acquire perspectives concerning the nature and origins of the world in which we live.
Points of Pride
- Founded in 1970, the interdepartmental program coordinates a broad range of Purdue’s medieval-related activities: the undergraduate major and minor; two interdisciplinary courses; a mini-conference with visiting speakers; Medieval Mondays (lunch-time presentations by faculty and students); outreach activities; and cooperation with related activities, such as the Conference on Romance Languages, Literatures and Film; the Renaissance Consortium; the Chancel Players; and the Purdue Medieval Society.
- The medieval slide collection houses over 1,400 slide sets of medieval art and architecture. A special focus of the collection is manuscript illumination.
- Purdue is a member of the Newberry Library Consortium and the Medieval Academy of America's Committee on Centers and Regional Associations.
- Comitatus, a student organization, encourages fellowship and fosters dialogue on a range of topics beyond the classroom.
- Management consulting
- Many other positions in business/management, not necessarily related to this major but able to capitalize on students’ broad-based liberal arts skill set and integrated understanding of Western civilization
- Graduate school
- About Liberal Arts
- Academic Programs
- Degree Requirements and Other Procedures
- Honors Program
- Opportunities for scholarships, awards, prizes, and honors
- Other Student Resources
- Study Abroad and International Programs
- Research Newsletter
- CLA Faculty Research Support
- Margo Katherine Wilke Undergraduate Research Internship
- Global Synergy Research Grants
- Enhancing Research in the Humanitites and the Arts Grants
- Exploratory Research in the Social Sciences Grants
- Transdisciplinary and Interdisciplinary Research Grants
- Research Initiative Grants
- Faculty Development Centers
- PRF International Travel Grants
- PRF Summer Faculty Grants
- CLA Graduate Student Research Support »
- CLA Undergraduate Student Research Support
- Contact Information
- News & Events