Students explore the basic concepts of linguistics and language analysis methods, and discover the role of language in society. They are introduced to articulatory phonetics, sounds of languages in the world, mechanisms of production of speech sounds, and ear training for discriminating speech sounds. They analyze parts of speech, constituent phrases, sentence structure, representations, ambiguity, and applications of current theory.
Points of Pride
- The Purdue Linguistics Association is a place for students with an interest in linguistics to come together socially and for discussion.
- Linguistic Talks are held most Wednesedays during lunch.
- Speech user interface designer
- Curriculum developer
- Spanish lexicographer
- Management consulting
- Many other positions in domestic and international business/management, not necessarily related to linguistics but able to capitalize on students’ broad-based liberal arts skill set and extra language skill developed in this major
- Graduate or professional school
- About Liberal Arts
- Academic Programs »
- Degree Requirements and Other Procedures
- Opportunities for scholarships, awards, prizes, and honors
- Other Student Resources »
- Study Abroad and International Programs
- News & Events