The undergraduate secondary English education teaching major is a comprehensive four-year program designed to prepare students to teach middle and high school English. After completing the requirements of the program, students will be qualified to obtain a license to teach English in the state of Indiana in grades 5-12. Students complete coursework in both the College of Education and the College of Liberal Arts, including four discipline-specific methods courses: composition for teachers, literature in the middle and secondary school, teaching English in the secondary school, and teaching English language arts in the middle school and junior high. In addition, English Education students must maintain a 2.5 GPA or above so that they can complete a mandatory 10-week student teaching experience in a middle or high school.
Points of Pride
- This rigorous major, like all education majors at Purdue, prepares each future teacher with great depth of subject knowledge. English Education is, effectively, a complete major in English with additional courses in educational psychology, curriculum development, and pedagogy.
- An English major learns many skills that employers find desirable, which may lead them to jobs in publishing, marketing, management, etc. Skills include: Ability to communicate, both in writing and orally, grammatical accuracy, editing and re-writing skills, ability to analyze and interpret data, documentation skills, creativity, foreign language ability, ability to present a clear and logical argument, understanding of human motivation.
- The Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) offers a vast library of resources ranging from style guides to instructional material to assist Purdue students. OWL also is an international resource, with a Web site that receives nearly 100 million hits a year from more than 125 different countries.
- Purdue has several student organizations for English students which include the Student English Association, Haraka Writers, and the Professional Writers Club.
- English/language arts teacher
- Online instructor/fundamentals of English teacher
- Social studies/English educational consultant
- Education sales
- Business jobs in training/management that rely on excellent written/ communication skills
- About Liberal Arts
- Academic Programs »
- Degree Requirements and Other Procedures
- Opportunities for scholarships, awards, prizes, and honors
- Other Student Resources »
- Study Abroad and International Programs
- News & Events