The Communication curriculum begins with a thorough introduction to the historical, philosophical, and theoretical foundations upon which all communication activity is based. Students begin in Pre-Communication, and after successfully completing three required Pre-Communication courses with a 3.0 GPA or higher, may proceed to the upper-level General Communication major or select a concentration in:
- Mass communication* - includes courses in professional and journalistic writing and news as strategic communication; the symbols created by mass communication and the role of mass media in society; and the translation of theory into media production in telecommunication areas such as video production, editing, and programming.
Points of Pride
- The School of Communication at Purdue is consistently ranked among the top programs in America in The Gourman Report.
- Communication majors are encouraged to take advantage of internship and study abroad opportunities, and their curriculum and faculty support these important experiential enrichment opportunities.
- Fast Track and Fast Track Te Informa are Purdue University's student news television. Students and faculty produce and create all shows.
*Regardless of communication concentration of interest, choose communication on the undergraduate admission application.
- Professional sales
- Customer service/employee relations
- Public relations
- Fund-raising and development
- Media production, editing, or performance
- Personnel placement, training, and evaluation
- About Liberal Arts
- Academic Programs
- Degree Requirements and Other Procedures
- Honors Program
- Opportunities for scholarships, awards, prizes, and honors
- Other Student Resources
- Study Abroad and International Programs
- Research Newsletter
- CLA Faculty Research Support
- Margo Katherine Wilke Undergraduate Research Internship
- Global Synergy Research Grants
- Enhancing Research in the Humanitites and the Arts Grants
- Exploratory Research in the Social Sciences Grants
- Transdisciplinary and Interdisciplinary Research Grants
- Research Initiative Grants
- Faculty Development Centers
- PRF International Travel Grants
- PRF Summer Faculty Grants
- CLA Graduate Student Research Support »
- CLA Undergraduate Student Research Support
- Contact Information
- News & Events