How to Apply
Successful applicants to graduate studies in Philosophy are admitted for the fall term, which begins in August. Applications for admittance to begin the program in Fall 2021 must be postmarked no later than January 6th, 2021.
Applicants should have a good background in philosophy. However, an undergraduate philosophy major is not a prerequisite.
To apply, students must complete and submit an electronic application or arrange for the documents listed below to be sent to:
- three letters of recommendation;
- transcripts of all prior university-level studies;
- GRE scores (international applicants who are not native English speakers must also submit TOEFL scores);
- In light of the current situation with the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Philosophy at Purdue will not require GRE test scores from students applying for admission in the Fall 2021 semester. (GRE scores may still be submitted, optionally, by applicants who desire to do so.)
- statement of purpose;
- a sample of written work in philosophy.
Non-degree students may be admitted for either the fall or spring term. Such students need submit only an electronic application and either official transcripts or copies of official transcripts, but they should contact the Director of Graduate Admissions before applying.