Students explore the basic concepts of linguistics and language analysis methods, and discover the role of language in society. They are introduced to articulatory phonetics, sounds of languages in the world, mechanisms of production of speech sounds, and ear training for discriminating speech sounds. They analyze parts of speech, constituent phrases, sentence structure, representations, ambiguity, and applications of current theory.
Points of Pride
- The Purdue Linguistics Association is a place for students with an interest in linguistics to come together socially and for discussion.
- Ling Lunches (faculty and student presentations) are held Mondays at 1:30, and our weekly coffee hour is on Wednesdays at 1:30.
- Speech user interface designer
- Curriculum developer
- Spanish lexicographer
- Management consulting
- Many other positions in domestic and international business/management, not necessarily related to linguistics but able to capitalize on students’ broad-based liberal arts skill set and extra language skill developed in this major
- Graduate or professional school