The Chinese Studies Major offers academically rigorous courses in Chinese language, history, literature, culture, religion and film studies. Students will acquire the general literacy and appreciation of the richness and variety of traditional and modern Chinese studies in its broadest sense. They will also gain a deep understanding from reading and pondering the issues presented in the carefully selected materials regarding all the above areas. The goals of this new Major is to provide opportunities to Purdue students to study in depth about China and Chinese speaking regions and develop their academic skills and qualifications for careers related to China. Courses in Chinese Studies Major form broad perspectives to provide students with the experience that is fundamental to multicultural education and interdisciplinary studies.
Points of Pride
- Be eligible for full scholarship to study Chinese language in China with credits transferred to Purdue;
- Receive priority consideration in application for graduate programs in Chinese Studies major;
- Opportunities for research programs in China;
- Possibility with another Major at Purdue for career enhancement.
- Teaching in Chinese as a Foreign Language;
- K-12 teaching positions (with a teaching license);
- Translation or interpretations;
- English teaching positions in China (preferably with a degree in English)
- Communication positions in corporations;
- Business and managerial positions in corporations (preferably with a degree in Management)
- Program managers in government agencies focusing on Asia/China;