Katie Wilkinson learned how to use professional video equipment on live news broadcasts during her internship with 14 News in Evansville, Indiana.
Film and Theatre Production
The interdisciplinary film and theatre production major brings together faculty and courses from a variety of disciplines including Languages & Cultures, English, Theatre, and Computer Graphics & Technology working in conjunction with Information Technology at Purdue (ITaP) and the Elliott Hall of Music. The program helps students learn how to analyze, integrate, and apply the theories that form the basis of the film/video discipline. On campus, students have the opportunity to work with the Big Ten Network to gain real world experience.
Film and Theatre Production students have worked in various capacities with sports and entertainment organizations and individuals ranging from the CMA Music Festival to tours of Jimmy Buffett, Hilary Duff, Hootie and the Blowfish, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, with established corporations such as Ford, Qwest, and Verizon, and as successful independent producers and directors.
Upon completion of the program, Film and Theatre Production majors may choose to enter a field directly or indirectly-related to their studies. Student experiences have included:
- Independent Filmmaker
- International Marketing Coordinator
- Production Assistant
- Media Specialist/Producer
- BTN NOW crew member/Production Assistant
- Graduate or professional school
All Purdue University College of Liberal Arts majors prepare students with the skills identified as contributing to professional success: communicating and listening well, an understanding and appreciation of diverse points of view, creative thinking and problem solving, a collaborative mindset, the ability to synthesize complex ideas and communicate them clearly, and a Boilermaker work ethic.
Within the field of Film and Theatre Production, students develop skills that are applicable to many different careers. These skills may include, but are not limited to:
- Utilizing video design and Web creation software, such as Adobe Systems Creative Cloud (After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop), Adobe Flash Player, Apple Final Cut Pro, YouTube, and Windows Media Services.
- Reviewing assembled films or edited videotapes to determine how to further improve them.
- Determining the specific audio and visual effects and music necessary to create compelling films.
- Operating and installing computer editing systems, electronic titling systems, video switching equipment, and digital video effects units to produce a final product.
- Reviewing film, recordings, or rehearsals to ensure conformance to production and broadcast standards.
- Coordinating the activities of multidisciplinary teams including writers, directors, managers, and other personnel throughout the production process.
Film and Theatre Production majors may choose to enter into the workforce using the skills they have acquired at Purdue or to attend graduate school upon completion of their degree. Past graduates have gone on to: