Challenges to Religious and Moral Belief: Disagreement and Evolution
Conference Schedule, September 6-8, 2012
All paper presentations will be in Stewart Center, Room 214
Thursday, September 6, 2012
I. Moral Disagreement and Religious Disagreement
6:00-7:30pm: "Normative Disagreement as a Challenge to Moral Philosophy and Philosophical Theology"
- Presenter: Robert Audi (University of Notre Dame, Philosophy)
- Commentator: Jennifer Lackey (Northwestern University, Philosophy)
- Chair: Jonathan Matheson (University of North Florida, Philosophy)
7:45-9:15pm: "Theologies of Hell and Epistemological Conflict"
- Presenter: Charles Mathewes (University of Virginia, Religious Studies)
- Commentator: Stephen Davis (Claremont McKenna College, Philosophy)
- Chair: Stephen Long (Marquette University, Theology)
9:15pm: Reception (Stewart Center, Rooms 302 and 306)
Friday, September 7, 2012
9:00-10:30am: "Moral Disagreement among Philosophers"
- Presenter: Ralph Wedgwood (University of Southern California, Philosophy)
- Commentator: John Pittard (Yale University, Philosophy and Religious Studies)
- Chair: Karen Stohr (Georgetown University, Philosophy)
10:45am-12:15pm: "Disagreeing With Psychopaths"
- Presenter: Walter Sinnott-Armstrong (Duke University, Philosophy)
- Commentator: John Greco (Saint Louis University, Philosophy)
- Chair: Michael DePaul (University of Notre Dame, Philosophy)
12:15-1:45pm: Lunch (on own)
II. Religious vs. Nonreligious Sources of Moral Belief
1:45-3:15pm: "Not by Reason Alone: The Priority of Sanctity over Dignity"
- Presenter: Timothy Jackson (Emory University, Candler School of Theology)
- Commentator: Kevin Hector (University of Chicago, Divinity School)
- Chair: Andrew Moon (University of Missouri, Philosophy)
3:30-5:00pm: "Conscience and the Moral Epistemology of Divine Command Theory"
- Presenter: John Hare (Yale University, Yale Divinity School)
- Commentator: Kyla Ebels-Duggan (Northwestern University, Philosophy)
- Chair: Jesse Couenhoven (Villanova University, Theology)
5:30-7:15pm: Conference Banquet (Purdue Memorial Union, East and West Faculty Lounge, reservations required)
7:30pm-9:00pm: "Toward God's Own Ethics"
- Presenter: Mark Murphy (Georgetown University, Philosophy)
- Commentator: Christian Miller (Wake Forest University, Philosophy)
- Chair: Jill Graper Hernandez (University of Texas at San Antonio, Philosophy)
Saturday, September 8, 2012
III. Evolutionary Accounts of Moral and Religious Belief
9:00-10:30am: "Religion is more than Belief: What Evolutionary Theories of Religion Tell Us about Religious Commitments"
- Presenter: Richard Sosis and Jordan Kiper (University of Connecticut, Anthropology)
- Commentator: Kelly James Clark (Grand Valley State University, Philosophy)
- Chair: Joshua Thurow (University of Texas at San Antonio, Philosophy)
10:45am-12:15:pm: "Primate precursors to moral behavior"
- Presenter: Sarah Brosnan (Georgia State University, Psychology)
- Commentator: Jeffrey Schloss (Westmont College, Biology)
- Chair: James Nairne (Purdue University, Psychology)
12:15-1:45pm: Lunch (on own)
1:45-3:15pm: "Darwinian Normative Skepticism"
- Presenter: Dustin Locke (Claremont McKenna College, Philosophy)
- Commentator: William FitzPatrick (University of Rochester, Philosophy)
- Chair: Meghan Sullivan (University of Notre Dame, Philosophy)