Faculty Mentoring Incentive Program
To enhance the current departmental faculty mentoring system and to foster professional networking among colleagues at different professorial ranks for promotion and tenure (P/T), the Dean’s office is pleased to launch the new Faculty Mentoring Incentive Program with hospitality incentive to provide engagement opportunities for mentors and mentees. This program intends to help junior and mid-level faculty to maximize their networking opportunities with senior faculty for professional guidance.
All tenured professors, including clinical associate professors and department heads in CLA who agree to serve as mentors. Mentors are expected to:
- Discuss and present their mentee(s) in third year and P/T review (contract renewals for clinical faculty) at primary committee meetings;
- (optional) Prepare a written report annually for the head on the mentee(s)’ progress;
- Help review their mentee(s)’ promotion documents and other pertinent P/T materials;
- (optional) Be invited by their mentee(s) to attend the annual meeting with the head to discuss overall progress.
All tenure-track assistant professors and clinical assistant professors are required to have a mentor(s) at the associate or full level, and associate professors with tenure are strongly encouraged to have a mentor(s) at the full level. Mentees are expected to:
- Prepare documentation for discussions;
- Seek advice from mentor(s) on professional advancement;
- Keep mentor(s) updated on overall progress in research, teaching, engagement and student mentoring;
- Organize social (meal/coffee, etc) meetings with the mentor(s).
A $150 hospitality allowance will be provided to each mentee (through a Boiler Express Card) to be used throughout the academic year for a pair/group of mentor(s)-mentee (s). The card may be used at all Purdue associated dining facilities and a list of those facilities is provided at the bottom of this web page: http://www.purdue.edu/business/card/. Please contact your business office to get a card set up. Mentees will need to provide the name(s) of their mentors to the business office at the time of card check-out.
Questions regarding this program may be directed to Wei Hong, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org.