**No Prior Registration is required.
Oral Exam: If the student passes the written exam, the student will give a speech presentation during the first week of the Fall Semester: Thursday, August 25th at 5:30pm in HEAV 104.
Fall 2016 Test Out Information
Written Exam: Wednesday, September 28 or Wednesday, October 26 at 5:30 in BRNG 1254.
Oral Exam: If a student passes the written exam, a student will give a speech presentation three weeks after their written exam date on either Wednesday, October 19 or Wednesday, November 16.
COM 114 Fundamentals of Speech Communication is a required course for many majors at Purdue. It is the study of communication theories as applied to speech and involves practical communicative experiences ranging from interpersonal communication and small group processes to informative and persuasive speaking in standard speaker-audience situations.
Credit is awarded to students who successfully pass a written exam and deliver a speech. Both tests must be passed to establish credit. The student must meet the following criteria to attempt credit by exam for COM 114:
- Officially enrolled in Purdue University
- Has not previously attempted the COM 114 test out exam. Testing out is a one-time opportunity.
- Students eligible for test out are those who are a newly admitted student or currently enrolled student who has not received a grade or directed grade in the course, other than a grade of W.
- Have Form 231 from his/her academic advisor to submit at the time of the written portion of the exam
- Provide Purdue University Student ID at time of written and oral exam.
For detailed information about the written exam, speech process, and requirements, click on the links below.