1974, University of Strasbourg, France
BA 1976, French
MS 1977, Management
Mobilization Assistant to the Deputy Chief of Staff for Strategic Plans and Programs, Headquarters U.S. Air Force, Washington, DC (Retired)
Major General Erika Steuterman assisted in developing, integrating, evaluating, and analyzing the U.S. Air Force Future Years Defense Program that exceeds $822B, and the Air Force Long-Range Plan to support national security objectives and military strategy.
Steuterman was commissioned through the ROTC program at Purdue in May 1977. Her active-duty assignments were to the Strategic Air Command’s 7th Bombardment Wing at Carswell Air Force Base, as Chief of Combat Intelligence and wing executive officer. She has been an individual mobilization augmentee to the Defense Intelligence Agency as Reserve Air Attaché, Commandant of the Squadron Officer School, and the Deputy Political Adviser at Headquarters U.S. European Command. Steuterman also served as mobilization assistant to the Director of Intelligence at Headquarters USEUCOM; Commander, Air Intelligence Agency; Director, National Security Agency; Vice Commander, Air Force Space Command; and Deputy Chief of Staff for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance.
Steuterman was inducted into Purdue’s ROTC Hall of Fame (2005) and an Old Master (2011), and she served on the ROTC Hall of Fame Committee. While a student at Purdue she was an Old Masters Hostess, participated in Band, ROTC Arnold Air Society, and Mortar Board.
Steuterman is a life member of the Reserve Officer Association. She is on the Board of Directors for the Wabash Center and on the Advisory Council for the Tippecanoe Adult Guardianship Services.
Steuterman has received the following awards and decorations:
• Defense Superior Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
• Legion of merit with oak leaf cluster
• Defense Meritorious Service Medal
• Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
• Joint Service Commendation Medal
• Air Force Commendation Medal
• Joint Service Achievement Medal
• Joint Meritorious Unit Award
• Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with silver and bronze oak leaf clusters
• Air Force Recognition Ribbon
• National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
• Armed Forces Reserve Medal with silver hourglass and two “M” devices