Deadline: February 1st
The Department of Art and Design welcomes applications until February 1st for priority consideration for teaching assistantships. All application materials must be received or uploaded by the deadline.
Applications accepted for FALL entry only. Applications for Spring and Summer semesters are not accepted.
Contact the Director of Art and Design Graduate Programs for permission to apply after February 1st.
To submit an application for the MFA in Studio Arts or Design or the MA and PhD in Art Education, please follow the checklist below:
- Check the Department of Art and Design Minimum Requirements for Admission.
- Complete the online Graduate School Application and indicate your area of study.
- Upload the following supplemental materials to the Graduate School Application:
- Pay the online application fee.
International students from non-English speaking countries must submit these additional materials with your online application:
- Undergraduate transcript in original language AND official English translation.
- Diploma in original language AND official English translation.
- English language minimum test scores submitted to Purdue directly from the testing service. Send electronically when possible. When physical address is needed, use the following:
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Art and Design
Patti and Rusty Rueff School of Visual and Performing Arts
Yue-Kong Pao Hall of Visual and Performing Arts
552 West Wood Street, Room 3121
West Lafayette, Indiana 47907-2002
Check the Graduate School’s English Proficiency Requirements.
A limited number of teaching assistantships are available for qualified Domestic and International applicants pursuing the Master of Fine Arts and Master of Arts (Art Education only) in the Department of Art and Design. Graduate teaching assistants receive a full-tuition waiver, a base stipend of $15,000 per year, a medical benefits package (if ½-time assistantship), and spouses are eligible for in-state tuition.
If you wish to be considered for a teaching assistantship in the Department of Art and Design, you must complete the online Teaching Assistantship Application within your online Graduate School application and attach a 250-word teaching statement and 10 additional examples of work demonstrating ability and interest in teaching. Please see the Teaching Assistantship Application for the minimum requirements for eligibility and instructions on submitting the required materials.
An on-campus visit is optional but highly encouraged. Please contact the Director of Graduate Studies for the Department of Art and Design firstname.lastname@example.org for an appointment.