Registering for Classes and Research Hours
Please note: this page is a general reminder, and does not supercede or replace the emails sent from the department each semester. When in doubt, follow the emails (or ask!).
Be aware that if you mark “candidate” when you register for courses/research hours, your name will be put on the graduation list. Moreover, once your name is on the list, it does not matter if you then ask to be taken off the list before the Graduate School deadline to declare candidacy: that semester WILL still count under the new graduation list policy.
A late graduation fee of $200 will be charged to students who are on the graduation list for more than two consecutive semesters but do not graduate.
To register for classes:
- Talk with your advisor (major professor). We strongly suggest referring to your Plan of Study Rationale Worksheet during this conversation. You can locate the Rationale in the appendices of the Grad Manual.
- Obtain the CRNs of the classes you will be taking from the Schedule of Classes (via My Purdue). If you need to register for research hours, see below.
- Log in to MyPurdue and take care of any holds (see below for some standard holds, and what to do about them).
- Use the Unitime Scheduling Assistant to register for courses. Consult the Unitime Manual if you need help.
- If you are signing up for MA, MFA, or PhD research hours (e.g., ENGL 698 or 699) you will need Form 23. Copies of Form 23 can be found in Heavilon 304 outside of the inner office.
- Bring your Form 23, completed (including the including CRN and PUID) and signed by your advisor (major professor), to Joy Kane. (If you are not in the West Lafayette area, you may e-mail the information to Joy; in all other cases we require the paper copy.) Turn your Form 23 in to the box in Heavilon 302, and they will be processed within 48 hours.
- If you are doing research hours with a professor who does not have an assigned section (CRN), please contact Janeen Redman so she can have a section assigned to the professor.
To register for 589 or 590:
- Get form 23V from Heavilon 304, outside the inner office.
- You will need to take your completed form 23V to HOVD room 45 for processing.
These holds will prevent you from registering for Spring 2019 classes, so please take a few minutes to complete these two very important tasks.
Action needed – Acknowledge Your Financial Obligations:
Review and update your annual agreement by visiting the Bills & Payments page via My Purdue and click the link “Acknowledge Your Financial Obligations” found within the Student Account section. Doing so will automatically release the hold on your account. Lack of compliance will result in your inability to register for classes, including the ability to drop or add courses.
Action needed – Emergency Contact:
Add or validate an existing emergency contact by visiting the Academics page via My Purdue and click the link “Emergency Contacts” found within the Personal Information section. Doing so will automatically release the hold on your account. Lack of compliance will result in your inability to register for classes, including the ability to drop or add courses. If an emergency contact exists, you must click the Verify/Submit Changes button at the bottom of the page even if there are no changes made. This will trigger the automatic release of the hold.
Need more detailed instructions? No problem.