Purdue’s public relations program emphasizes maintenance of relationships between organizations and their social, political, and economic environments. The program emphasizes the integration of public relations theory and research into practice to develop an understanding of the interactions between organizations and their publics. Studying public relations at Purdue prepares students to cultivate and sustain mutually-beneficial relationships between organizations of all types and their strategic publics both as practitioners and researchers.
Reasons to Study Public Relations at Purdue
- Obtain a degree from one of the top-ranked public relations programs in the nation
- Work with some of the most distinguished scholars in the discipline of public relations
- Participate in stimulating communication courses covering a wide variety of areas
- Study abroad through partnerships in Denmark and Italy
- Work in Washington-related partnerships such as those with Brian Lamb and C-SPAN
- Design a personally-tailored plan of study that best suits your needs
- Collaborate with faculty members and fellow graduate students on research projects
- Teach or assist with delivery of undergraduate communication and public relations courses
Program Strengths and Faculty Interests
The Lists of Programs and Faculty Interests are Alphabetical:
Activism and Public Behavior: Brian Smith, Ph.D., Krishnamurthy Sriramesh, Ph.D.*
Advertising: Stephen Robb, Ph.D.
Corporate Advocacy and Issue Management: Josh Boyd, Ph.D.
Corporate Social Responsibility: Krishnamurthy Sriramesh, Ph.D.*
Digital Social Media and Online Engagement: Brian Smith, Ph.D., Krishnamurthy Sriramesh, Ph.D.*
Global Public Relations: Krishnamurthy Sriramesh, Ph.D.*
Organizational Rhetoric: Josh Boyd, Ph.D.
Public Diplomacy: Krishnamurthy Sriramesh, Ph.D.*
Public Relations for Development (including non-profits): Krishnamurthy Sriramesh, Ph.D.*
Risk and Crisis Communication: Brian Smith, Ph.D., Krishnamurthy Sriramesh, Ph.D.*
Sports Public Relations: Josh Boyd, Ph.D.
Strategic Integrated Communication: Brian Smith, Ph.D.
Strategic Management of Public Relations: Brian Smith, Ph.D., Krishnamurthy Sriramesh, Ph.D.*
*University Faculty Scholar
Selected Course Offerings
Seminar in Global Public Relations; Public Relations Theory; Rhetorical Approaches to Issue Management; Seminar in Public Relations Management; Crisis Communication; Public Relations & Social Media Engagement; Corporate Advocacy
More information is available at:
or contact Melanie Morgan, Director of Graduate Studies at email@example.com