Department of Philosophy
Recent Faculty Articles
- Christopher Yeomans: Talents and Interests: A Hegelian Moral Psychology in the Hegel Bulletin 34(1):33-58, May 2013.
- Leonard Harris: Symposium on Insurrectionist, "Walker: Naturalism and Liberation," Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society: A Quarterly Journal in American Philosophy, Volume 49, Number 1, Winter 2013.
- Leonard Harris: Symposium on Insurrectionist, (Harrisonian Approach), Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society: A Quarterly Journal in American Philosophy, Volume 49, Number 1, Winter 2013.
Paul Draper: Paul Draper and Ryan Nichols, “Diagnosing Bias in Philosophy of Religion,” The Monist 96.3 (July 2013), 422-448.
Paul Draper: Paul Draper and Trent Dougherty, “Explanation and the Problem of Evil,” in A Companion to the Problem of Evil, ed. Daniel Howard-Snyder and Justin McBrayer (Wiley-Blackwell, 2013), pp. 71-87.
Paul Draper: "The Limitations of Pure Skeptical Theism," Res Philosophica 90 (2013), 97-111.
Leonard Harris: la parution du numéro 235-236 de la revuew: Africana Une philosophis de l’africanité. Accès aux articles, 2012 http://www.cairn.info/revue-diogene.htm
Jacqueline Mariña: "Transcendental Arguments for Personal Identify in Kant's Transcendental Deduction," Philo 14 no. 2 (Fall/Winder 2012), forthcoming, 16,201 words, (lead article).
Jacqueline Mariña:“Ultimacy and Subjectivity: Theism in 19th and 20th Century Intellectual Life,” for the Routledge Companion to Theism, edited by Charles Taliaferro, Victoria Harrison, Stewart Goetz, Routledge, 2012
Jacqueline Mariña: "Metaphysical Realism and Epistemological Modesty in Schleiermacher's Method," in The Persistence of the Sacred in Modern Thought, Chris L. Firestone and Nathan A. Jacobs, ed., Notre Dame University Press, 2012, pp. 319-334.
- William McBride: "Existentialism as a Cultural Movement," in The Cambridge Companion to Existentialism, ed. S. Crowell, Cambridge, 2012, pp. 50-69.
William McBride: "Father Berrigan and the Marxist-Communicst 'Menace'," in Faith, Resistance, and the Future, ed. J.L. Marsh and A.J. Brown, Fordham U.P., 2012, pp. 49-56.
William McBride: Préface à Esthétique de la Réflexivité: Essai sur la dimension interculturelle de l’anthropologie existentielle de J.-P. Sartre , par Nke Fridolin, Saarbrücken, Éditions Universitaires Européennes, 2012, pp. 11-16
Michael Bergmann: “Rational Religious Belief without Arguments,” Philosophy of Religion: An Anthology (6th Edition), eds. Louis Pojman and Michael Rea (Wadsworth Publishing, 2012), pp. 534-49.
- Michael Bergmann: “Commonsense Skeptical Theism,” Reason, Metaphysics, and Mind: New Essays on the Philosophy of Alvin Plantinga, eds. Kelly Clark and Michael Rea (Oxford University Press 2012), pp. 9-37.
- Patricia Curd: "Thought and Body in Parmenides" in Néstor-Luis Cordero, ed., Parmenides, Venerable and Awesome: Proceedings of the International Symposium. Parmenides Publishing, 2012, pp. 115-134.
- Paul Draper: “Darwin’s Argument from Evil,” in Scientific Approaches to the Philosophy of Religion, ed. Yujin Nagasawa (Palgrave Macmillan, 2012), pp. 49-70.
- Paul Draper: “Christian Theism and Life on Earth,” in A Companion to Science and Christianity, ed. Alan Padgett and James Stump (Wiley-Blackwell, 2012), pp. 306-316.
- Daniel Kelly: Kelly, D., Machery, E. and Mallon, R. (in press). "Race and Racial Cognition," The Oxford Handbook of Moral Psychology, Eds. J. Doris and the Moral Psychology Research Group, New York: Oxford University Press, 432-471.
- Michael Bergmann: “Evidentialism and the Great Pumpkin Objection,” Evidentialism and its Discontents, ed. Trent Dougherty (Oxford University Press, 2011), pp. 123-33.
- Patricia Curd: "Divinity and Intelligibility in Parmenides," in L. Riggiu and C. Natali, eds., Ontologia Scienza Mito: Per una Nuova Lettura di Parmenide (Milan: Mimesis Edizione, 2011) pp. 117-133.
- Patricia Curd: "New Work on the Presocratics," part of the journal's Current Scholarship Series, appears in the January, 2011 issue of the Journal of the History of Philosophy (Volume 49, 1, pp 1-37).
- Paul Draper: “Faith without God: An Introduction to Schellenberg’s Trilogy,” Philo 14.1 (Spring/Summer, 2011), 59-65.
- Paul Draper: “Comments on ‘The Problem of Evil and the History of Peoples’,” in Divine Evil? The Moral Character of the God of Abraham, ed. Michael Bergmann, Michael J. Murray, and Michael C. Rea (Oxford University Press, 2011), pp. 198-203.
- Daniel Frank: "The Politics of Fear: Idolatry and Superstition in Maimonides and Spinoza." In Judaic Sources and Western Thought: Jerusalem's Enduring Presence, ed. Jonathan Jacobs. New York: Oxford University Press (2011).
- Paul Draper: "Cumulative Cases," in A Companion to Philosophy of Religion, ed. Charles Taliaferro, Paul Draper, and Philip L. Quinn (Wiley-Blackwell, 2010), 414-424.
- Michael Jacovides: "Do Experiences Represent?," Inquiry, 53 (2010): 87-103.
- Patrick Kain: "Practical Cognition, Intuition, and the Fact of Reason." In Kant's Moral Metaphysics: God, Freedom, and Immortality, eds. Benjamin Bruxvoort Lipscomb and James Krueger, 211-230. Berlin: de Gruyter, 2010.
- Daniel Kelly: Machery, E., Kelly, D. and Faucher, L. (2010). "On the Alleged Inadequacies of Psychological Explanations of Racism," The Monist, 93(2): 228-255.
- Jacqueline Mariña, "Holiness," in A Companion to the Philosophy of Religion, edited by Charles Taliaferro, Paul Draper, and Phil Quinn, Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell, 2010, pp. 235-242.
- Jacqueline Mariña, "Schleiermacher, Realism, and Epistemic Modesty: A Reply to My Critics," in Schleiermacher, the Study of Religion and the Future of Theology, edited by Brent W. Sockness and Wilhelm Gräb, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2010, pp. 121-134.
- Daniel Smith: "Concepts as Continuous Variation" (interview with Justin Litaker), in Journal of Philosophy: A Cross-Disciplinary Inquiry, a quarterly publication of the Society for Philosophy and Literary Studies (Kathmandu, Nepal), Vol. 5, No. 11 (Winter 2010); Yubraj Aryal, editor, 57-60.
- Christopher Yeoman: "Hegel and Analytic Philosophy of Action" in The Owl of Minerva, vol. 42: nos. 1-2 (2010-11).
- Michael Bergmann: "Skeptical Theism and the Problem of Evil," Oxford Handbook to Philosophical Theology, eds. Thomas Flint and Michael Rea (Oxford University Press, 2009), 374-99.
- Michael Bergmann: "Rational Disagreement after Full Disclosure," Episteme 6 (2009), 336-53.
- Patricia Curd: "Thought and Body in Heraclitus and Anaxagoras," Proceedings of the Boston Area Colloquium in Ancient Philosophy 25, (Brill, 2009), ed. G. Guertier and W. Wians, 1-20, 39-41.
- Paul Draper: "David Hume," in The History of Western Philosophy of Religion, ed. Graham Oppy and Nicholas Trakakis (Acumen Publishing, 2009), Vol. 3, Early Modern Philosophy of Religion, 249-261.
- Paul Draper: "The Problem of Evil," in The Oxford Handbook of Philosophical Theology, ed. Thomas P. Flint and Michael Rea (Oxford University Press, 2009), 332-351.
- Daniel Frank: "Jewish Philosophical Theology," In The Oxford Handbook of Philosophical Theology, eds. Thomas Flint and Michael Rea. Oxford: Oxford University Press (2009).
- Daniel Frank: "Divine Law and Human Practices," in The Cambridge History of Jewish Philosophy: From Antiquity through the Seventeenth Century, ed. by S. Nadler and T.M. Rudavsky (Cambridge University Press, 2009).
- Leonard Harris: "Cosmopolitanism and the African Renaissance," Pixley, I. Seme and Alain L. Locke, International Journal of African Renaissance Studies, 4:2,181-192, December 2009.
- Michael Jacovides: "How Berkeley Corrupted his Capacity to Conceive," Philosophia 37 (2009): 415-29.
- Patrick Kain: "Kant's Defense of Human Moral Status." Journal of the History of Philosophy 47 (2009): 59-102.
- William McBride: "El desafio de acomodaria diversidad de creencias dentro de una filosofia globalizada," in Revistata de la Sociedad Argentina de Filosofia XII (2009), 27-35.
- Daniel Smith: "Metaphysics and Ontology," Continuum Companion to Continental Philosophy, ed., John Mullarkey and Beth Lord (London: Continuum Press, 2009).
- Daniel Smith: "Genesis and Difference: Deleuze, Maimon, and the Post-Kantian Reading of Leibniz," in Deleuze and The Fold. A Critical Reader, ed. Niamh McDonnel and Sjoerd van Tuinen (London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2009), 132-154.
- Matthias Steup: "Are Mental States Luminous?", in Williamson on Knowledge, ed. by P. Greenough and D. Pritchard (Oxford University Press, 2009).
- Michael Bergmann: "Externalist Responses to Skepticism," Oxford Handbook to Skepticism, ed. John Greco (Oxford University Press, 2008), 504-38
- Michael Bergmann: "Reidian Externalism," in New Waves in Epistemology, egs. Vincent Hendricks and Duncan Pritchard (Palgrave, 2008), 52-74.
- Jeff Brower: "Aquinas on Mental Representation: Concepts of Intentionality" (with Susan Brower-Toland). The Philosophical Review 117 (2008): 193-243.