Department of English
If you can answer yes to the following two questions you are eligible to use the services of the English Department's Placement Office:
- Are/were you a English graduate student? We only handle requests for English students. If you are/were a student of American Studies, Women's Studies, Linguistics, Philosophy, or Comparative Literature you must contact those offices for their Placement Procedures.
- Did you or are you planning on graduating from the English Department with a M.A., M.F.A., or Ph.D. Once you sign your waiver you are eligible for departmental placement services for three year. If your three year eligibility has concluded you will have to transfer your file to another dossier service. (Many former students have had success with Interfolio.) Please check with Julie at email@example.com if you are unsure of when you signed your waiver. Also, your dossier will be destroyed six years after the date you signed your waiver.
- Your dossier with the English department will include ONLY your confidential letters of recommendation. We do not copy c.v.'s, writing samples, nor provide transcript services. For your transcript requests, please see the Purdue Registrar's office website at: www.purdue.edu/registrar/
- When you place a request, EVERY letter in your file will be sent to the address you provide.
- If you were on the job market in past years, you may want to request that your reviewers submit "new updated" letters to your file. If a newer version of a letter is received for your file the older letter will be discarded and replaced with the new one.
- Once mailing requests are placed, allow 2-3 working days for your request to be processed and at least two additional weeks for mailing. A record of your request and the dates when completed and mailed will be kept in your file.
- Your dossier may now be sent electronically using the on-line form. Allow 2 working days for processing.
Before Submitting a Request:
- Have you signed a waiver relinquishing your right to review the letters in your file. If not, you can download one here. Please print, sign and date the wavier and mail to: Julie Henderson, Credential Coordinator, Department of English, 500 Oval Drive, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2038. You need to sign a waiver only once--not every year you are on the market but you must do so before your dossier file can be created.
- Request that professors submit their confidential letters of recommendation on departmental letterhead directly to the following address: Julie Henderson, Credential Coordinator, Department of English, 500 Oval Drive, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2038 or submit them electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check and see the contents of your file. It is your responsibility to know what letters are currently in your file. Check with Julie at email@example.com and if all the expected letters are in your file you may then proceed with your request. If you place a request before all your letters have arrived it will be the responsibility of the reviewer (not Julie) to mail the letter to any institutions your dossier has already been sent to.
- All requests (including electronic) must be made using the on-line form. Please see the "Place a Request" link below.