Visual Arts Education
Students in Purdue's art education program develop a broad understanding of the visual arts and the desire to communicate this understanding to others. The program provides a solid foundation in the liberal arts as well as specialized skills in studio arts, curriculum planning, teaching strategies, and verbal communication.
Course work provides a balance between the theoretical and practical needs of prospective teachers. Students may enroll in a comprehensive visual arts curriculum or one with an emphasis in applied design.
Throughout the program under the supervision of an art education faculty members, students receive practicum experiences by observing in the public schools. The senior year also includes participation in a Saturday morning class for gifted children.
The art education degree meets both state and national certification standards. The program is approved by the National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education, which permits Purdue graduates to teach in other states. While many students find fulfillment in teaching , others use their background in art education to pursue careers in supervision, administration, and other leadership roles in art education.
Art education attracts students with a strong interest in art and a desire to work with people. Graduates often choose to become art teachers in public and private institutions such as elementary and secondary schools, museums, and other institutional settings.
Plans of Study
- About Liberal Arts
- Academic Programs
- Degree Requirements and Other Procedures
- Honors Program
- Opportunities for scholarships, awards, prizes, and honors
- Other Student Resources
- Study Abroad and International Programs
- Research Newsletter
- CLA Faculty Research Support
- Margo Katherine Wilke Undergraduate Research Internship
- Global Synergy Research Grants
- Enhancing Research in the Humanitites and the Arts Grants
- Exploratory Research in the Social Sciences Grants
- Transdisciplinary and Interdisciplinary Research Grants
- Research Initiative Grants
- Faculty Development Centers
- PRF International Travel Grants
- PRF Summer Faculty Grants
- CLA Graduate Student Research Support »
- CLA Undergraduate Student Research Support
- Contact Information
- News & Events