Interior design is based on solving problems related to the quality of people’s physical environment within a structure to achieve interior space. These solutions are functional, enhance the quality of life and culture of the occupants, and are aesthetically appealing. Students in Purdue’s interior design program develop the analytical skills and gain the experience to plan commercial, institutional, healthcare, retail, and residential interiors. This program aims to develop students as creative designers who can formulate, propose, and execute creative design solutions for the physical, social, and psychological needs of a changing society influenced by rapid changes in technology. Purdue’s interior design program is CIDA (Council for Interior Design Accreditation) accredited .
Points of Pride
- Interior Design is one of the majors housed in the new Visual and Performing Arts Building, a state-of-the-art facility built specifically for the visual and performing arts at Purdue. The building includes computer labs built specifically for the interior design program.
- The interior design program was ranked nationally by Design Intelligence: the Almanac of Architecture and Design.
- Purdue has a student chapter of the American Society of Interior Designers.
Special note regarding portfolio review - An art portfolio is not required to begin this major. However, students are required to pass a selective portfolio review in the spring of their sophomore year to advance to upper level design and complete this major. Selection is competitive and is based on the student’s work in Purdue art and design courses and development as a designer. Students not selected for upper level Interior Design work with their academic advisor to change to their second choice major.
- Interior or architectural design firms, various positions
- Design positions that focusing on lighting, kitchens and baths, facilities planning, or the furniture industry
- Showroom manager
Rueff School of Visual and Performing Arts
- About Liberal Arts
- Academic Programs
- Degree Requirements and Other Procedures
- Honors Program
- Opportunities for scholarships, awards, prizes, and honors
- Other Student Resources
- Study Abroad and International Programs
- Research Newsletter
- CLA Faculty Research Support
- Margo Katherine Wilke Undergraduate Research Internship
- Global Synergy Research Grants
- Enhancing Research in the Humanitites and the Arts Grants
- Exploratory Research in the Social Sciences Grants
- Transdisciplinary and Interdisciplinary Research Grants
- Research Initiative Grants
- Faculty Development Centers
- PRF International Travel Grants
- PRF Summer Faculty Grants
- CLA Graduate Student Research Support »
- CLA Undergraduate Student Research Support
- Contact Information
- News & Events