Film and Video Studies
The interdisciplinary film and video studies major is a professionally-oriented program with a strong liberal arts foundation. It brings together faculty and courses from the School of Languages & Cultures, English, Theatre, and Computer Graphics and Technology as well as from Information Technology at Purdue (ITaP), and the Elliott Hall of Music. The goal of this program is to help prepare students to meet the new challenges they will encounter as citizens and professionals in the information age. The program helps students learn how to analyze, integrate, and apply the theories that form the basis of the film/video discipline.
Points of Pride
- Purdue’s Hall of Music Productions (Elliott Hall of Music), taking advantage of its excellent staff, equipment, venues, and real-world environment, teaches some of the production courses in this major. Hall of Music Productions has won ADDY awards from the Association of Advertising and Marketing Professionals for graphic design and effects for sporting events, DVD cover designs, and promotion posters. The group has also earned Telly Awards (for outstanding local, regional, and cable TV commercials and programs) for video produced for the Jumbotron.
- Film and Video Students have worked as interns and externis and in various capacities with sports and entertainment organizations and individuals ranging from the CMA Music Festival to the tours of Jimmy Buffett, Hilary Duff, Hootie and the Blowfish, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, and with corporations such as Ford, Qwest, and Verizon.
- In 2009, the first Senior Capstone Film Project in Community Service was completed. A team of five students created an exercise video for children aged 3-5 in conjunction with the Tippecanoe Community and Family Resource Center/Head Start/Early Head Start..
- Film critic
- Television production
- Production assistant
- Entertainment careers
- Many other positions in business/management, not necessarily related to film but able to capitalize on students’ broad-based liberal arts skill set developed in this major
- About Liberal Arts
- Academic Programs »
- Degree Requirements and Other Procedures
- Opportunities for scholarships, awards, prizes, and honors
- Other Student Resources »
- Study Abroad and International Programs
- News & Events