Film and Theatre Production
Film and Theatre Production is a professionally-oriented program with a strong liberal arts foundation. It brings together faculty and courses from the School of Languages & Cultures, English, Theatre, and Computer Graphics and Technology as well as from Information Technology at Purdue (ITaP), and the Elliott Hall of Music. The goal of this program is to help prepare students to meet the new challenges they will encounter as citizens and professionals in the information age, and to qualify them for immediate entry into professional careers or graduate programs in film or theater. The program helps students learn how to analyze, integrate, and apply the theories that form the basis of the film/video discipline, and to work in a practical, professional capacity.
Points of Pride
- Purdue’s Hall of Music Productions (Elliott Hall of Music), taking advantage of its excellent staff, equipment, venues, and real-world environment, teaches some of the production courses in this major. Hall of Music Productions has won ADDY awards from the Association of Advertising and Marketing Professionals for graphic design and effects for sporting events, DVD cover designs, and promotion posters. The group has also earned Telly Awards (for outstanding local, regional, and cable TV commercials and programs) for video produced for the Jumbotron. the Theatre Division of the Department of Visual and Performing Arts contributes additional courses and practica related to acting, directing, costuming, lighting, sound, and other matters crucial to film production.
- Film and Video Students have worked as interns and externs and in various capacities with sports and entertainment organizations and individuals ranging from the CMA Music Festival to the tours of Jimmy Buffett, Hilary Duff, Hootie and the Blowfish, Alan Jackson, Brad Paisley, and with corporations such as Ford, Qwest, and Verizon.
- In 2009, the first Senior Capstone Film Project in Community Service was completed. A team of five students created an exercise video for children aged 3-5 in conjunction with the TippecanoeCommunity and Family Resource Center/Head Start/Early Head Start.
- Television Production
- Theatre Production
- Film Critic
- Entertainment Careers
- Graduate or Professional School
- Many other positions in business/management, not necessarily related to film, that capitalize on students’ broad-based liberal arts skills set developed in this major.
- About Liberal Arts
- Academic Programs
- Degree Requirements and Other Procedures
- Honors Program
- Opportunities for scholarships, awards, prizes, and honors
- Other Student Resources
- Study Abroad and International Programs
- Research Newsletter
- CLA Faculty Research Support
- Margo Katherine Wilke Undergraduate Research Internship
- Global Synergy Research Grants
- Enhancing Research in the Humanitites and the Arts Grants
- Exploratory Research in the Social Sciences Grants
- Transdisciplinary and Interdisciplinary Research Grants
- Research Initiative Grants
- Faculty Development Centers
- PRF International Travel Grants
- PRF Summer Faculty Grants
- CLA Graduate Student Research Support »
- CLA Undergraduate Student Research Support
- Contact Information
- News & Events