Anthropology is unique among the social sciences in considering humankind from a holistic perspective that aims for an understanding of how culture, biology, history, and language intersect. We have a rigorous well-balanced four-field (biological, archaeological, cultural, and linguistic anthropology) undergraduate program. Our faculty ably cover a range of substantive, methodological, and theoretical areas in courses that provide students with a solid grounding in anthropological perspectives. Undergraduates have an opportunity for hands-on experience in our summer archaeology field school as well as training in archaeological, osteological, ethnographic, and primatological methods. All these and other topics help students understand ideas and issues that they confront as citizens and in their careers.
Points of Pride
- Anthropologists at Purdue work in a wide variety of field sites in Europe, Mexico, Central America, Southeast Asia, Africa, and the United States.
- Faculty have gained national and international reputations for their research in North American archeology, economic and political anthropology, semiotics and non-verbal language, primatology, conservation and development, religion, transnational movements, and gender and sexuality.
- Purdue offers an anthropology student club, P.A.S.T. (Purdue Anthropology Society)
- The Anthropology honors program provides an optional capstone experience for students. The year-long program enables students to focus on a particular empirical issue in an anthropological subdiscipline and to write an honors thesis based on that research.
Undergraduate students who major in Anthropology are preparing for graduate school or want a general liberal arts degree; some also anticipate employment in an industry, which may or may not be related to their interest in Anthropology. Students also pursue law school, teaching, and government/non-profit employment.
- About CLA
- Academic Programs »
- Degree Requirements and Other Procedures
- Honors Program
- Opportunities for scholarships, awards, prizes, and honors
- Other Student Resources »
- Study Abroad and International Programs
- CLA Faculty Research Support »
- CLA Graduate Student Research Support »
- CLA Undergraduate Student Research Support
- Recent Funding Opportunity Announcements
- CLA Researchers Around the World
- Contact Information
- College Resources
- News and Events