African American Studies
The major in African American Studies has provided focus on the experience of African Americans and their connections to the African Diaspora in the Caribbean and Latin America. Coursework addresses such topics as cultural practices, with reference to literature, history, and film, as well as inequality as it relates to issues of nationality, race, class, and gender. The major provides students with a solid theoretical and research basis to pursue either graduate professional study or employment in business or industry and can often be completed with a second liberal arts major such as English, history, communication, psychology, or sociology.
Points of Pride
- The African American Studies and Research Program at Purdue is dedicated to engaging the African Diaspora on a global scale. Within the past five years, we have offered study abroad opportunities to Martinique, Cuba, and Brazil.
- The African American Studies and Research Center sponsors a variety of annual programs that include: Talkin' & Testifyin' Works-in-Progress Series, Symposium on African American Culture & Philosophy, W.E.B. DeBois Lecture Series, Conversations on the Diaspora, Harriet A. Jacobs Lecture Series in the Humanities and the Arts.
- The African American Studies and Research Center also offers an annual Symposium. This year will be the 25th Annual Symposium, "New Direction in Feminisim and Womanism in Africa and African Diaspora".
- Graduate study
- Professional school
- Business and management positions
- Government Positions
- About Liberal Arts
- Academic Programs
- Degree Requirements and Other Procedures
- Honors Program
- Opportunities for scholarships, awards, prizes, and honors
- Other Student Resources
- Study Abroad and International Programs
- Research Newsletter
- CLA Faculty Research Support
- Margo Katherine Wilke Undergraduate Research Internship
- Global Synergy Research Grants
- Enhancing Research in the Humanitites and the Arts Grants
- Exploratory Research in the Social Sciences Grants
- Transdisciplinary and Interdisciplinary Research Grants
- Research Initiative Grants
- Faculty Development Centers
- PRF International Travel Grants
- PRF Summer Faculty Grants
- CLA Graduate Student Research Support »
- CLA Undergraduate Student Research Support
- Contact Information
- News & Events